Monday, December 28, 2009

The Ballad of Winston Zeddemore

I'm caught in a temporary dark age right now. Christmas' whirlwind of baking, buying, and consuming are gone, and the mess needs to be cleaned up. But my kitchen goes uncleaned and cookies uneaten, because I'm stuck doing late shifts so I can put some money together before I go back to school. Everyone's going back to school, now; recessions teach people just how bad their current jobs are.

Winston was the most unnecessary Ghostbuster. He inspired me to feel the unutterable pity one feels for the perpetually unloved. According to his Wikipedia article, "Winston Zeddemore was intended to be the smartest and most capable of the Ghostbusters, a former Marine with multiple degrees and a Ph.D., making him more suited for the job than the founding three Ghostbusters." Amazing! I say this from the perspective of a six-year-old mulatto kid with self-esteem issues, but I always thought they'd hired him to carry their stuff. The die of history has been cast, and it did not land in Winston's favor. You can't change that. But read his (wiki) biography, and maybe then you can give him the remembrance he deserves.

No comments: