Sunday, June 26, 2011

Interruption of Service

I turned 25 today. Or yesterday. It's hard to tell. I was born on 6/26/86, which I always interpreted as a subtle nod to the number of the beast. So, in celebration, I post here. My mother, she spent most of my birthday trying to convince me of the gravity of 25, how it heralds the end of people giving me slack for my youth. A good point, but one I couldn't take to heart. I know I need to be so much more than I am.

This birthday was not the best. A great project was undertaken to construct chicken and waffles ex nihilo, but the waffles suffered structural breaches in phase 2 of development and the entire work was scrapped. We still ate the fried chicken, and discovered that it's quite delicious with maple syrup. I met up with another friend, but there were insults, innuendos, and misunderstandings. That one left me in a bad mood. But the dinner with family was alright, the company was lively, and I was ultimately reminded whom I could rely on.

So, a decent birthday, not going in the record books. But I realized something: I used to enjoy having everyone make a big fuss about my birthday, but now I kind of want to go unnoticed. It's better as a day of quiet reflection and joking around with bosom friends than a big-tent bombshell event. And, really, it doesn't deserve the pomp and circumstance I usually demand. So maybe the bright side of turning 25 is me giving myself less leeway for needless things.

No comments: